Despite the unique set of struggles we wrestle with in life, everyone fortunate enough to read this share a list of things we’ll never have to worry about. It may seem basic, but there are billions of people, even today, who aren’t nearly as lucky.
1. You are alive.
2. You didn’t go to sleep hungry last night.
3. You awoke this morning with a roof over your head.
4. You are able to hear birds sing and waves crash.
5. You haven’t feared for your life today.
6. You have overcome some considerable obstacles, and you have learned and survived.
7. You are reasonably strong and healthy – if you got sick today, you could recover.
8. You often worry about what you’re going to do with your life – your career, your family, the next step, etc. – which means you have ambition, passion, drive, and the freedom to make your own decisions.
9. You can walk outside and feel the breeze through your hair and the sun’s warmth on your skin.
10. You live in a country that protects your basic human rights and civil liberties.
11. You had a choice of what clothes to wear.
12. You have tasted the sweetness of chocolate cake.
13. You have a friend or relative who misses you and looks forward to your next visit.
14. You have someone with whom to reminisce about ‘the good old days.’
15. You can read.
16. You have access to clean drinking water.
17. You have access to medical care.
18. You have access to the Internet.
19. You are able to see the sunrise and the sunset.
The truth is, you’re doing better than a lot of people in this world. So remember to be grateful for all the things you do have.
(Read The The Happiness Project.)
“True wealth is the ability to fully experience life.” Henry David Thoreau. We should much time being grateful for what we have as we do stressing about what we don’t. Let’s also take time to help those who aren’t able to experience these seemingly basic necessities.